The following are some of the Therapy approaches, methods and techniques that I use as a foundation in my Couples Counseling. Depending upon your specific needs and goals as a Couple seeking assistance, I would use those therapies that would be most effective towards helping you achieve and maintain those goals in your relationship.
- Imago Relationship Therapy: Developed by Harville Hendrix (Getting the Love you Want), Imago Relationship Therapy assists couples in identifying the unconscious reasons they have chosen their partner, and the challenges that arise in their relationship when the preconceived image of their partner (the Imago) conflicts with the real person who they are. Imago Therapy provides the couple with the tools necessary to relate to each other in a positive and caring way. Also, Imago therapy views the conflict between a couple as the opportunity towards true healing of the wounds each partner has suffered in the past, allowing them to create a strong, supportive and healthy partnership.
Gottman Institute / Tools for a Successful Relationship: Developed by Dr. John Gottman who researched for three decades to learn what makes for successful couples, the Gottman approach provides practical tools and exercises to help a couple stop the old negative patterns that have been undermining the foundations of respect and friendship for each other. Instead, the couple learns how to build, through daily, positive appreciations and behaviors towards their partner, an atmosphere of “good will”, so that the relationship can weather the ups and downs of their relationship, with consistency, commitment and integrity for one another.
- Cognitive/Behavioral Therapy (CBT) CBT explores the role of our subconscious thoughts in creating how we feel about ourselves and how we think others view us. CBT Therapy is very helpful for identifying the old patterns, the old "programming" that keeps us repeating the same behaviors again and again in our relationship, despite the same, unsatisfying results. Once the old, dysfunctional beliefs about relationships are exposed, then there is the opportunity for positive change in how we interact in our intimate relationship.
- EMDR (Eye Movement De-sensitization and Reprocessing): EMDR is a scientifically proven technique for the treatment of Trauma and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). In some cases, a relationship is negatively impacted by an unresolved trauma experienced by one of the partners. This trauma can sometimes create problems in the areas of Emotional Intimacy, Physical / Sexual Intimacy, and Trust. EMDR is a very effective treatment for releasing that individual from that trauma, and helping them to re-connect to their partner in more positive and loving ways.
- Hypnotherapy: Hypnotherapy is a process that gently guides the client into their sub-conscious mind. In Couples Counseling, hypnotherapy can assist one or both of the partners in accessing certain hidden blocks that may be interfering with their Intimacy, Commitment or Trust issues. Once brought into the light through Hypnotherapy, the individual has the opportunity for over-coming those obstacles and creating more true connection with the other.
- Psychodynamic Therapy: Psychodynamic therapy recognizes the significant impact that the early relationships the individual experienced as a child in has upon the success of their intimate relationships as adults. By identifying and then healing any earlier negative experiences, the individual can then create an intimate relationship that is positive, supportive and nurturing.
- Expressive Arts & Sand Tray: Expressive Arts and Sand-Tray are two additional, non-verbal approaches that help the client access their subconscious mind to identify and overcome any remaining hidden obstacles that lie in their path towards healthy intimacy and connection with their partner
- Mindfulness: Mindfulness is a process to "slow it down" so that the individual can have an awareness of what they are really feeling in the moment. It is an opportunity for each partner to speak their Authentic thoughts and feelings. Only then can true connection, true intimacy and true trust develop in their relationship.
If you have any questions regarding the therapy methods I practice above, feel free to reach out by calling 925-708-0997.